Topic Brainstorm

Below are the project topics I am interested in exploring.

1. The Goddess Parvati
From the list of goddesses, I began exploring Parvati who represents fertility, love, and devotion. I think this is such an empowering role that happens to be feminine. I would like to be more educated upon the power and strength of the goddesses as opposed to the gods. Was there any patriarchal domination? I am also interested in researching about this goddess because I watched the Bollywood movie, Devdas, and I greatly admire the major leading female character named Parvati. When I noticed Parvati on the list of goddesses, it reminded me of one of my favorite movies and thus, sparked my interest. I am unsure of whether or not this movie is related to the goddess but I definitely want to research more about this topic as well.
Online source link

2. Reincarnation: Moksha
The idea of reincarnation is fascinating. For this assignment, I learned of Moksha, which is 'liberation from rebirth'. Throughout the semester, I want to explore more of this aspect of reincarnation and hopefully have a better understanding. I learned that in some ways, Buddhism and Hinduism are related to each other. Reincarnation is one of the similar aspects between the two. It would be great to learn about two distinct religions that are unfamiliar to me at the moment. Comparing and contrasting both of them could reveal where the two diverge in terms of religious principles.
Online source link.

3. Elephant and Ganesha
I want to research more on the importance of the elephant in India. When I traveled to India at 6 years old, I remember there was an elephant carrying in the groom at a wedding and ever since then, I have always pondered upon why they are such prized animals, other than the fact that they are gorgeous. I am already familiar with Ganesha, the Hindu god of success. I want to further gain knowledge about the story behind his elephant head, pot belly, and big ears. I think this is an interesting topic because elephants are the biggest land animal and maybe, this has some influence on why they are represented in the Hindu deities.
Online source link.

4. Food during Diwali: Laddoos and Kheer
Diwali is a vibrant, colorful, and joyous religious celebration of light. One way to celebrate this through the medium of Indian cultural food, particularly sweet dishes. During this time, people find their creative spark for food to bring people together. Learning about diverse foods is very enticing. India is such a beautiful country, one that is full of fantastic food, which would be fun to learn more about. Laddoos and Kheer are both traditional Bengali sweets I grew up eating. Usually, these are offered during wedding receptions or when receiving good news. It will be interesting to learn about how/when they are prepared and eaten in India.
Online source link.
Food feeds the soul. Source: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a coffee fanatic

Week 5 Storytelling: Rama Banishes Sita