Week 10 Story: There's Nothing Like A Mother's Love

Krishna refused to be nursed by Putana. Source: Wikimedia Commons.
A heavenly voice prophesied that Devaki's eighth son will slay King Kansa, so when Krishna was born, as an avatar of the god Vishnu, he was transported to Gokul. Here, Nanda and Yashoda became Krishna's foster parents.

In response to hearing the eighth son was born, King Kansa ordered a rakshasi, named Putana, to disguise herself as Yashoda and pretend to be Krishna's foster mother. Putana arrived and kidnapped the real Yashadoa, who she hid far away from Gokul.

Then, she returned to the home where Krishna dwelt. Putana tried to nurse him with poisoned milk, but the wise infant-god realized she was not his beloved foster mother, Yashoda. He cries and refuses to be nursed by Putana. Putana acts oblivious and in disguise, she tells Nanda, and asks him to leave Gokul so that she can bond with Krishna. While she's away, Krishna kills Putana, who as he assumed, is an ugly demon. Soon after, Yashoda returns and embraces Krishna.

In the meantime, the real Yashoda found her way back to Gokul. She did not know what happened to her and why she ended up far away from her home. She embraced Krishna as soon as they were reunited.

Author’s Note
Shri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories by C. A. Kincaid
Chapter 2: The Childhood of Krishna
I kept this story similar to the original but there are some important twists. In the original story, Putana disguises herself at a sweet-faced woman who nurses male children to death, because of her poisoned milk. In my retelling of the story, Putana disguised herself as Yashoda. I decided to go this route because I wanted the audience to experience suspense trying to figure out if Krishna would realize if that was his real foster mother or not. 

Comments

  1. Hey there, Naomee! Nice story you wrote from Krishna tales. I was interesting to read the story because it was different than the original version. Such as you mad Putana disguises herself as a Yashoda to poisoned Krishna. I actually really like that part because it was interesting and something new to me. Keep it up and good luck on the next story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomee! I liked your take on this story! I liked the suspense you conveyed in seeing if Krishna would realize the truth about his foster mother. I also liked your tone and writing style overall. Great storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there again, Naomee!
    This was one of my favorite stories to read. I recently wrote about this for my portfolio project. I found the origins of Krishna to be really awesome. It is amazing how strong Krishna was even as an infant. He was able to fend off evil demons and defeat them with ease. Your writing style is great, and I like how you added your own personal voice to the story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a coffee fanatic

Week 5 Storytelling: Rama Banishes Sita